Wednesday, December 07, 2005

 

"...please, tell the Americans we are not terrorsits" -15 year old Jordanian girl

I swear I have been working the entire time since I have been on this site! 160 Iraqis spent over 48 hours in the cold arabian desert to get to us. It was so horrifying. By the time they got to us it was late afternoon a full day later. They had been detained at the border overnight, forced to sleep on the side of the road with little babies in the cold (winter here too). The children arrived with about 4 layers of clothes on them each. They were so soiled; saturated in vomit (motion sickness) and urine. I was the first one to assess the children (to perform vitals) and tears welled up only a few times. Fortunately there was a buzz of excitement in the air ... there are good things to be done here!

I have been recovering babies and children from surgery for the last three days; about 12-16 hours at the hospital each day. We have had a few exciting days, but generally the patients have done so well. The team is slick, and I have a fabulous Aussie roommate who keeps me in stitches.

Sorry for the humm drumm message but I have been working the last 17 hours and wanted to send something quickly! I am clearly having incredible moments of compassion, love, cultural exposure...and I am enjoying Jordan. The middle east is a fabulous place, and you should all come over here to check it out. I have had quite a unique sneak peak inside the muslim faith which many of you know I would be totally loving.

I need to sign off because I am falling asleep at this computer. I have sooooo many stories and many poignant moments. I am so lucky to be doing this.

Oh yeah...I was able to stand in the place where Jesus Christ was baptised. Can you beleive it..sometimes, I can't.

This weekend I will be scuba diving in the red sea, and seeing the ancient Petra. Too da loo, all...with smiles and a happy heart! :)

Comments:
Kim,

Thank you so much for sharing your amazing adventure this way. I am already an avid follower of your blog and look forward to the stories to come!

Take care of yourself ... taking care of the little ones.

Lara Fellman
 
Hi Kim

You are doing something that many of us wish we had the courage to do. Our prayers are with you.

Jan and Al Birkett
 
Hi Kim;
Great to hear all is going well.
We can't imagine the hardships of the Iraqi kids.
Stay safe
Luv
DAD
 
Kim it sounds like you are working hard and having a great experiance. Give the Iraqi children a hug for me, and wish the American Troops a Merry Christmas from us back at home. Your an inspiration to us all.

Shawn
 
Hi Kim,

You truly are an inspiration, although I do know where you get your inspiration from. He made it happen so just keep following His plan.

Love, Uncle Crawford
 
Kim!!!

We love you, and are amazed as we hear more about your trip...infact, I was talking about you on the radio the other night :) It was all about using your gifts to serve and help others...giving sacrificially to show love and compassion to people. That's what you're doing right now. As you touch their lives, your life is being touched and changed...and so is ours. Thanks.

Amy
 
Kim, what wonderful adventures you are having! You truly are an inspiration. You are in our thoughts everyday. Please stay safe and keep that smile of yours beaming away. That alone will light up the room and give people hope. take care of yourself, love and hugs from Vancouver, Paula and Keith
 
Hey Kim!
You'd never think that a war-torn country would be a hot vacation spot. I'll let Eric know... we've been thinking about getting overseas for a vacation! :)
Good to hear your alive. I can't imagine what you must be experiencing. When you get some time are you able to post pictures? I'd love to see the spot where Jesus was baptized.
Love and hugs from all of us
Bree :)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?