Saturday, December 10, 2005

 

One lost piece of luggage, more empty hotels, and jaw-dropping Jordanian scuba masters.

So the last few days of my life have been incredibly eventful. After I woke up the last surgery patient and bid the babies and their daddies farewell, it was off to the hotel to rush to a farewell and thank you party. There was lots of 'hubbly bubbly" and some more fabulous aubergines and falafel. It was moving to see all the Iraqi doctors receive an award. These men are incredible. The conversations we had about their thoughts on Saddam Hussein, the Americans and their presence, their opinions on the war, and their sad, sad, sad stories....I will never forget.

The last three days have been all about adventure time, and an adventure it has been; while on a tour bus to Petra (where Indiana Jones was filmed) the luggage compartment of our bus flew open, my bag fell out and I will never see my Italian pink leather boots and my 150 numbers in my cell phone again. Yes it's true everyone, my nice little black wheeled baggage is being used as a very compfy seat cushion for a Bedouin boy and his camel somewhere in the Arabian desert as we speak. Hopefully this young man will give my fabulous patagonia jacket to his sister, and I hope he washes all my underwear and socks before he distributes them out to all the ladies in his camp.

Soon I was off to Aqaba with a plastic surgeon, another nurse, but minus one bag. God had me separate my luggage that morning, so my carry on was saved with generally everything I needed in it for the next three days. Unbelievable.

If I get to talk to any of you, please ask me about the story in Petra. It involves meeting a Petra tour guide whose brother is a policeman, our adventure at the Petra police station, filing a lost item report, the police chief's brother who has a sick son, and the surgeon who could help him. It was seriously a miracle, and I decided we should submit our story to "It takes a miracle" with Roma Downy. Yep, yep.

We made it to Aqaba and were able to take the most breath-taking dive into the red sea. This has been the best dive I have ever been on, hands down (even the great barrier reef). I have never seen so much bright green, bright orange, bright yellow and Nemo's everywhere. The babe-of-a-25-year-old-Jordanian-scuba master that unpredictably decided to hold my hand through most of the dive added some considerable charm to the entire experience, as well:) We all decided that I wouldn't exactly make it as a Muslim wife...so we are off.

And what better place to go than Israel (no snide remarks, everyone).

Until the next blog entry....trying to keep it safe.

Thanks to all who have made the effort to make such nice comments on my blog. You have all said some very nice things, and I hope to hear from more of you soon...luv Kim

Comments:
I can't wait to hear the story about Petra... and about the scuba instructor... bring him home for Christmas, show him some North American charm, and you'll have him hooked! :)
Luv Bree :)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?