Monday, December 12, 2005

 

Israeli Christian soldiers and crazy border crossings.

I just spent 45 minutes writing an update and it all just went away in a blink. So the new synopsis is...

We crossed the Jordanian/Israel border at night with our necessary male counterpart; we were the only ones at the border and it took an hour and a half. We were searched, scanned and rescanned, were somewhat freaked out by the humming of security fences, and were looked at in shock and questioned harshly when we told customs we were on our way to Bethlehem. "Q: And what do you know about Bethlehem!! A: "....uhhhhh....the place where Jesus was born?" The customs agents (all under 25) all warned us against going to Bethlehem because it was dangerous for us; so we paused to think for the night in Ilat, asked questions, and took off to Jerusalem at 7am the next morning.

I spent the bus ride chatting sweetly with a young Christian Israeli soldier and his rifle and his smile. His best friend sitting beside him, was also a soldier, however Jewish. He definitely enjoyed listening to my I pod and improving his english. Southern Israel looks a lot like Southern Utah...only additions are the possible palm tree farms and the salt factories.

JERUSALEM!!!

We landed a fabulous taxi driver who with all his Jewish matzo took the three of us on a world wind tour of Jerusalem; I saw so much, and I still can't comprehend it all. The Wailing Wall, the place where Jesus cried over Jerusalem, the golden gates where it is believed Jesus will return...and more.

Our taxi man took us to Bethlehem next over much debate over safety. He arranged a "passover" of us into a Palestinian taxi so he, being an Israeli taxi driver, would not get shot and we could go and see where bebe Jesus was born.

It was definitely a moment; we climbed down into Joseph and Mary's cave, and saw the manger, and knelt over the place of his birth. I was traveling with a Christian and a Jew; it was an interesting moment for all of us. The tour group behind us started singing Silent Night and then I became really, really moved. Really.

The presence of the different moments in history, the warm beautiful sunny day, the anxiety of our taxi driver...it all made December 11th one day I will never forget.

We made it to the bus station to catch a taxi ride to the only border crossing that would let us back into Jordan. Unknown to us, we were now way north, past Jericho, and had to once again cross a border late at night and then take a taxi back south to the dead sea.

We arrived at the Movenpick, Dead Sea, Jordan by approximately 1030pm last night. I sadly said goodbye to my fabulous travel buddies, and cuddled in for an opulent experience at the biggest spa hotel in the middle east. (I have cashed in on last year's Christmas present here, Dad!). All I can say is, the Jordanians know how to do it right. It would have been better if I wasn't alone; but you can't have everything...at least not all at once :)

I am leaving for the airport in about an hour and a half; I am minus some cherished material possessions, however my glass seems to be absolutely overflowing with contentment, spiritual fulfillment, and a happiness.

It's been fun blogging with you. Until next time...

Kim

Comments:
Kim,
what an experience! You are so fortunate. I would love to see you sometime and hear more about your experience. Maybe Mike and I can have you over for dinner some time. I will prepare aubergines :) Thanks for sharing your experiences with me.
Arie
 
Hi Kim,
I found your message both touching and inspiring. Your love for the work you are doing and the people you are working with is so obvious and what lucky (ironic choice of adjective given their life experiences) little people these Iraqi children are to have your team helping them regain a sense of normalcy in their lives. Having just returned from the Muslim world in Morocco, I know that the cultural differences are in some way very deep but in others we are so alike, human and with blemishes. Keep doing what you are doing with that wonderful smile on your face. We will be anxious to hear your stories on your return.
Meanwhile stay safe!!....Lots of luv.... The Cullingworths
 
Hi Kim;
Glad to hear you are safe and it's only your bag that went missing.
I must confess that sometimes I was worried that it might have been you!!
So is the Red Sea really red?
Did you have to wear a blue hued scuba mask? It sounds exciting.
See you and hear more about your adventures in Canmore.
Luv
DAD
 
Kim-
Thank you for sharing so eloquently your amazing experiences. I feel blessed to have been privy to the info. Hope you are home safe or almost home. Would love to see you next time in Utah...Jan. or Feb?
love,
Kitty
 
Lady! I can't wait to cozy up and read some more of this... and to actually talk to you soon. Love, Jen
 
Wow! I'm just reading your blog now. Amazing! I would love to see the pictures and hear you tell the stories. This, however, is an amazing way to share your trip. I would love to see Israel. I'm so glad you were able! Lots of love!
 
Oh Kim,
I can not read these with out my heart filling up with the same love and compassion you so eloquently expressed!

I cannot wait to see your pictures and catch up with you...on so many levels.

You love of people is absoluting contagious and quite frankly-its beautiful!

Are you home now? I want to come eat aubergines with you! Yummmmmmm

Love you...
Deborah
(did you see my mom has been following along too?)
 
Wow. I'm touched...deeply. Can't wait to see you at Christmas and here/see more.

Love ya,

Amy
 
Hi Kim,

You are one amazing woman. I'm so proud of you and what you are so passoniately doing. You are truely incredible. Can't wait to see you again.

Love your cousin
Liz (Bryan, Erica and Joshua too!!)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?